Avant Electronics MixCubes
Large images ..Available from 01/05/2007 until 11/30/1999
The AVANTONE MixCubes are shielded, full-range studio mini-reference monitors. Their design is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for the last 25 years.
To build a full range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound CubesÔ that are still in use worldwide, while offering an improved, more linear frequency response.
A full year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound CubesÔ. Research revealed that there were several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics.
Avant chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range version of those 5C models to use as our testing benchmark. Next they analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected “industry-standard reference monitor” Avant began by replicating its basic size, function and sonic character.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, ipod docking stations, etc.
It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing.
AMPLIFICATION and WIRING
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier.
The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.
- 5.25" Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF Cabinet sides & Baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Paper Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs)
- Anodized milled Aluminum Terminal Plate
- 1/4" soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
- SYSTEM TYPE: Dynamic shielded full-range pair
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 90hz-17,000hz
- IMPEDANCE: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / SENSITIVITY: 93db @1w/1 meter
- RECOMMENDED POWER: from 10-200 watts
- DRIVER: 5.25” Cast Aluminum Frame
- CABINET: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- INPUTS: 3-way CE rated plastic encased Metal Binding Posts (accepts up to 12 gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- CABINET DIMENSIONS: 165mm X 165mm X 165mm ( 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" )
- CABINET WEIGHT: 7Lbs / 2 oz (per speaker)