Focusrite Octopre MKII
Large images ..Available from 01/26/2010 until 11/30/1999
With eight channels of Focusrite microphone pre-amplification, eight VCA-based Red 3-derived compressors and built-in 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs and outputs, OctoPre MkII Dynamic is Focusrite’s feature-rich expansion upgrade for any digital audio workstation. It’s equally an ideal expansion for any analogue or digital console, or hard disk recorder.
Digital inputs and outputs let you make the most of often-neglected ADAT i/o; ideal for expanding the number of mic-pre inputs on your interface or for providing analogue monitoring from any digital ADAT feed.
With this entire package fitting into a single 1U chassis complementing Focusrite’s Saffire PRO range, and all controls adjustable from the front fascia, OctoPre MkII Dynamic sets the standard for modern, compact, multi-channel recording expansions.
The Compressors featured in OctoPre MkII Dynamic are a new VCA-based, feed-forward design, derived from the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
With just a single dial, these eight 'recording' compressors allow you to get to the desired amount of compression for each channel, fast, providing a natural but loud sound. The single dial solution decreases the threshold, and increases the makeup gain simultaneously, the result of which is a sound that gets progressively more compressed but retains a good output level.
The compressors uses a soft-knee progressive compression curve, modeled on the properties of the Red 3 compressor, and featuring a fixed Attack time of 1.2 ms and Release time of 28ms. The circuit has been tuned by ear at Focusrite and these settings were chosen after critical listening and analysis of the Red 3. Bass guitar and drums were put through the Red 3 compressor, and the threshold, ratio, attack and release envelopes were modified until the desired 'controlled' sound was achieved. These settings were then applied to the new VCA circuit where the soft knee and ratio curve had been duplicated. A further listening then helped to tweak the settings and ensure that the compressors behaved as expected.
The compressor has two modes: Normal and ‘More’, which let you change the behavior of the compressor to suit different instruments. Whist the Red 3 is well known and loved for its sympathetic approach to compression, it’s not regarded as an ‘effect’ compressor. However, with the OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s 'More' button, found on each compressor, you can bring a bit of aggression to your sound. The More button doubles the ratio from 2:1 to 4:1 and shifts the threshold range, so you have more sensitivity on control. The threshold is closed down, working across a smaller range, as you’re applying threshold control over a much louder signal.
• Eight award-winning Focusrite pre-amps
Focusrite's unparalleled pre-amp legacy forms the foundation of this new device, with pre-amps optimized to handle extreme levels from sound sources like acoustic drums.
• Eight ‘single-dial’ Focusrite Compressors
A single dial gets you to the right amount of compression, fast. These new VCA-based, feed-forward compressors model the character of the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
• Compress transparently or with effect
The classic soft-knee design achieves beautifully transparent compression that caresses your sound. Focusrite’s unique “More” switch doubles the ratio to deliver ‘compression with effect’.
• Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital outputs
Make the most of your interface's ADAT input for tracking, with eight channels of analogue to digital conversion via ADAT, boasting a ‘real world’ dynamic range performance of 110dB.
• Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs
Switchable from the front panel, digital to analogue conversion via ADAT provides analogue monitoring of any digital ADAT feed, as well as the ability to clock from any ADAT device.
• State-of-the-art Clocking Solutions
OctoPre MkII Dynamic's internal clock delivers a jitter performance of +/- 20 PPM. For external clocks, industry-standard JetPLL™ jitter elimination technology is employed
• Two high-quality instrument inputs
OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s first two channels feature DI’s, ready for you to plug in your Guitars and Bass. No expensive external DI required.
• Input clip and Compression active LEDs on every channel
• 5 LED input metering on every channel
• Phantom power available on every channel (switched in two groups: 1-4 and 5-8)
• 24-bit resolution, 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz sampling rates
• Internal clocking, master clocking and external clocking via BNC or ADAT
Gain and Levels
• Mic Gain: +10dB to + 55dB.
• Line 1-8 Gain: -10dB to +36dB.
• Instrument Gain: +10dB to +55dB.
• Phantom power switched in 4 channel groups on Mic. 1-4 and 5-8.
• Mic and instrument maximum input level +16dBu.
• Line maximum input level +26dBu
• Threshold Range: -44dBFS (Max setting) to -4dBFS (Min setting).
• Compression Ratio Normal: 2:1, More: 4:1.
• Auto Make Up Gain: 4dB (Min setting), 18dB (Max setting).
• Attack Time: 1.2ms, Release Time: 28ms (-3.5dB method).
• Compression Curve: Classic Focusrite Soft Knee.
• THD+N (maximum at any compression threshold, input < +16dBu, gain at minimum): < 0.18%
1. Internal clock
2. Sync to Word Clock Input.
3. Sync to ADAT Input (ADAT 1 input only)
Front Panel Indicators
• Metering of analogue inputs (channels 1-8), 5 segment (-42, -18, -6, -3 and 0dBFS).
• 4 Sample Rate LED’s (44.1k, 48k, 88.2k & 96k).
• 3 Sync Source LED’s (Internal, Word Clock and ADAT).
• ‘Lock’ Indicator LED.
• ADDA Switch for analogue output source selection (A/D’s or ADAT inputs).
Unboxed: W = 484mm / 19”, H = 45mm / 1.8”, D = 265mm / 10.4”
Boxed: W= 595 mm / 23.5”, H= 120 mm / 4.75”, D= 340 mm / 13.4”
Single unit unboxed net weight : 3.6 kg / 7.3 lbs
Single unit boxed net weight : 4.05 kg / 8.9 lbs