Modal Electronics are proud to announce the latest in its line of innovative Machines For Musicians – the Modal SKULPT synthesiser.
Packing a huge range of synthesis power in a highly portable package, Modal SKULPT is ready to help you take your creativity to the next level wherever and whenever you want. Representing not only a new synthesiser from Modal but the first in a new family of highly portable electronic musical instruments to come, SKULPT joins Modal Electronics highly acclaimed CRAFTsynth, 001 and 002 Digital / Analogue hybrid synthesisers and 008 Polyphonic Analogue synthesiser and CRAFTrhythm drum sampler.
Based on the innovative voice architecture of the ground breaking Modal CRAFTsynth, SKULPT provides four true polyphonic voices of synthesis with sound creation features normally only found on instruments many times the price of Modal SKULPT.
A quick overview of its features shows SKULPT pushes the bar up in portable electronic musical instruments: • Four virtual analogue discrete voices of polyphony with multiple keyboard modes
- Eight oscillators per voice for a total of 32 oscillators (4 x 8)
- Eight banks of sixteen patches (128 in total) patch storage and recall
- Smooth morphing waveforms for each oscillator
- FM (frequency modulation)
- Ring Modulator
- Eight (8) modulation slots with eight sources and thirty seven destinations
- Three (3) EG’s (envelopes) for Filter, Amp and Mod
- Two LFO’s – audio rate and MIDI syncable, one global, one per voice / polyphonic
- 2 pole resonant morphable modelled State Variable Filter (VCF) controllable from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay section – fully MIDI syncable
- Waveshaping Distortion
- Sequencer with real time polyphonic note input, storing 128 notes and four rows of parameter automation, 64 sequences can be stored onboard
- Feature rich Arpeggiator with selectable division, direction, swing and octave range
- 16 key front keypad for note input and controls
- 13 front panel encoders with shift mode for further access to functions
- Front panel transmits MIDI CC’s enabling it to control external software and hardware
- MIDI IN and OUT with soft THRU on 5 pin din sockets as well as Class Compliant MIDI over USB
- Analogue SYNC IN and OUT on 3.5mm sockets
- Dedicated headphone port
- Master output on 3.5mm socket
- Powered either by USB or 6 x AA batteries for extended playing time
And Modal SKULPT is truly portable – measuring only 255 x 135 x 68mm (10”x5 1/2”x 3”) and weighing less than 1.0kg (less than 2lb) – with batteries installed – means you can take SKULPT with you and continue making your music wherever you are. Powered by either 6 x AA batteries, providing over 12 hours of continuous play on the road, the stage or in the studio, you can switch to USB power whenever you want.
And USB isn’t just for power – Modal SKULPT provides a Class Compliant USB MIDI connection, enabling SKULPT to play in an integrated setup with MacOSX, Windows or iOS & Android tablets and phones. In addition the MODALapp editor provides complete visual access and control to all of SKULPTS incredible features, along with tight integration of Modal’s CRAFTsynth and CRAFTrhythm devices – letting you work across your Modal instruments with one unified high quality editing environment on the platform of choice including MacOSX, Windows or iOS & Android.
Small enough to fit in your backpack or sit on your master MIDI keyboard, yet powerful enough to bring big synth features into a musician’s rig, Modal SKULPT redefines what it means to be portable – “Bigger on the Inside”.
Modal SKULPT will shortly be available to order on Kickstarter, starting Friday 13th July 2018. Pricing to be confirmed shortly – expected to be LESS than US$300.