Universal Audio has partnered with Germany’s Sound Performance Lab (SPL) to bring you the Transient Designer, with its unique and compelling Differential Envelope Technology for shaping the dynamic response of a sound. Two simple audio controls allow effortless reshaping of the attack and sustain characteristics. SPL was the first company to design an analog solution for level-independent shaping of envelopes, allowing transients to be accelerated or slowed down and sustain prolonged or shortened.
The SPL Transient Designer is considered a “modern classic” and a recording-studio essential that is regularly employed as a “secret weapon” mix tool by some of the world’s finest engineers. Ed Cherney, Joe Chicarelli, Ross Hogarth and Michael Brauer all use this amazing device in their work.
The Transient Designer has a multitude of studio applications and can be used to solve many types of audio track problems. You can shorten or lengthen the attack and sustain of percussive signals such as kick drum, snare or toms, easily take the bleed from open mics, or expand the room sound of overheads. The Transient Designer’s magic can be applied to virtually any other signal as well: Amplify or reduce the picking sound of an acoustic guitar, hold the sound of strings longer, reduce the reverb time of a choir. Attack can be amplified or attenuated by up to 15 dB while Sustain can be amplified or attenuated by up to 24 dB. Lastly, Output allows quick gain matching with the unprocessed signal.
Key SPL Transient Designer Features:
* UA modeled, SPL(r) authorized and endorsed AU/VST/RTAS plug-in version of Transient Designer’s unique Differential Envelope Technology
* Increase or decrease the transients of percussive sources for greater impact, or a softened response
* Sustain of sources can be transparently shortened or increased for increased musicality
* Reduces or increases room sound or preexisting reverb on virtually any source
* Highly useful as a gate substitute, a transparent tool for minimizing mic bleed
* Versatile mix tool endorsed by world’s finest professional engineers
Not to be overshadowed by the SPL Transient Designer, v4.9 also includes a potent additional plug-in. The Precision Buss Compressor is a dual-VCA-type dynamic processor that yields modern, transparent gain reduction characteristics. It is specifically designed to “glue” mix elements together for that cohesive and polished sound typical of master section console compressors.
Key Precision Buss Compressor Features:
* Modern and easy-to-use single-band gain control for busses and inserts
* Transparent, large-format center-console-type dynamics control
* Auto release for transparent buss compression on a wide variety of sources
* Automatic Fade in or out, with a range of 1 to 60 seconds
* Mix control allows blending of wet and dry signals