MC-202 Hack version 2 is a software application that allows you to interact with the Roland MC-202 analog hardware synthesizer. Version 1 of the software (originally released in 1997) allowed users to convert MIDI files into WAV audio files that could be loaded into the cassette input port of the MC-202 to program either or both of its internal sequencers.
Version 2 of MC-202 Hack now extends the concept to allow you to “go the other direction” as well – from an MC-202’s sequence(s) to a MIDI file (either using stored MC-202 cassette output files, or in real-time from the MC-202). You can also now edit sequences directly within MC-202 Hack v2, and preview them using either a built in softsynth that emulates the sound of the MC-202 (complete with controllable parameters), or via MIDI, using either General MIDI instruments or any other MIDI-enabled software or hardware instrument.
Finally, MC-202 Hack v2 allows you to store visual representations of an MC-202’s synth settings, by virtually replicating the MC-202’s switches, dials and sliders in software; this allows you to duplicate your real MC-202’s synth settings within software. You can then easily save these settings for visual recall later. In addition, the software makes it easy to export text representations of these synth patches for sharing over the Internet. MC-202 Hack version 2 is available for both Macintosh and Windows systems
• complete application overhaul from v1.0
• go from mc-202 sequence on your synth to a MIDI file
• go from a MIDI file to an mc-202 sequence
• edit mc-202 sequences in the software, not on your mc-202’s little screen
• easily copy patterns between internal and external mc-202 sequences
• preview sequences with built in mc-202-like softsynth, GM synth, or MIDI device
• save visual mc-202 “snapshots” of front panel synth settings
• exchange mc-202 patch “snapshots” using easily shareable text files
• calibrate the program to your specific MC-202 (old analog synths can be finicky!)