Karma-Lab has released KARMA Motif Software, a dedicated PC/Mac program for the Yamaha Motif XS and XF (US $199). This brand-new entry in their line of software applications brings the award-winning and patented KARMA algorithmic music technology (previously only available for Korg workstations) to the Yamaha Motif, giving it new interactive groove generation and arranger-like capabilities.
“After announcing the development of KARMA Motif last year, the release took longer than anticipated,” acknowledged KARMA Developer Stephen Kay, “due to a number of factors, from the pain-staking attention applied to the programming of each Performance to the inclusion of additional interactive features beyond the original plan. For example, the Motif’s Remote Mode now displays a real-time information stream from the KARMA software directly in the Motif’s screen, showing parameters and settings in a way that makes it seem as if the KARMA software is actually inside the Motif.“
KARMA Motif also debuts the newest, most advanced, third-generation KARMA 3.0 technology with a host of new features including:
- 8-track design (6 KARMA Modules, 2 Keyboard Layers) per Performance
- Per-track Volumes and Mutes stored in each of the 32 Scenes
- Fill Feature – use one or more modules as a melodic or drum fill
- Advanced Stutter Feature – rapidly “stutter” the entire groove at different rhythmic resolutions
- Master Transpose – play in one key, generate output in another, switchable in real-time
- Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition – control the Motif’s arps, hits and SFX
- Performance Notes Feature – integrated detailed documentation for each Performance
- Remote Control Mode – maps the Motif’s Remote Mode to all of KARMA’s interactive features
- Extensively redesigned Single Window Interface
KARMA Motif‘s Performances use the Motif’s Song/Mixing mode, where each of the 64 songs is a complete, 16 part multi-track KARMA algorithmic music groove. Each Performance features six KARMA Modules, with a left hand and right hand zone for controlling KARMA and soloing on top of it, and eight fully voiced and completely different scenes. The Motif’s arps are also integrated in each Performance as additional elements that can be triggered via the Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition features. And since you are already in Song Mode, you’re just one step away from recording your KARMA-fied musical performances into the Motif’s sequencer – or you can route the output to any DAW for external sequencing. Furthermore, a KARMA Performance can call up any Motif Voice, Performance, Song, Pattern, or Master slot when loading, so that KARMA can be used in any of the Motif’s modes.
More information, including links to documentation, tutorials and user forums, can be found at karma-lab.com/karma-motif