Lynx Studio unveil Hilo (pronounced hee-low) – probably the finest two channel converter on the market, and a whole lot more than just that. Touch screen, DSP, up to 32 channels possible via expansion, a world-class headphone amp as well as incredible flexibility with multiple internal mixers and capable of running on a battery pack; Hilo is a sweet-sounding Swiss army knife…
Lynx Studio Technology is proud to present the Hilo Reference A/D D/A Converter System. With the pristine, open, transparent audio quality for which Lynx is known, Hilo provides two channels of mastering quality analog to digital conversion, up to eight channels of digital to analog conversion, a secondary monitor output, and a world class independent headphone amplifier in a compact half-rack size. A first for the pro converter market, Hilo’s innovative 480 x 272 touchscreen provides a flexible and intuitive interface that can adapt to a particular application and be easily upgraded with enhancements and new features. Initial front panel controls support extensive signal routing and mixing, sample rate selection, clock source options, levels, metering and diagnostic features.
Hilo is unique, so be careful comparing it to other two channel AD and DA converters. In fact it is a unique product that at first may be a little difficult to get your head around. Basically, Hilo replaces three different, critical components:
#1 Hilo is an analog to digital converter
#2 It is also a digital to analog converter. With most companies, these are two separate units.
#3 It is an independent headphone amplifier. The headphone section has its own, dedicated D/A converter. This provides two key benefits. First this allows Hilo to offer a headphone output with exceptional clarity and noise specifications. Second, due to Hilo’s internal 32 channel mixer, any input set can be routed to the headphone stereo output. This means that a mix that is entirely different from the analog outputs and monitors can be applied to the headphones.
• There are three sets of analog outputs: main analog output, monitor output (with volume) and headphone output (with volume)
• The flexible digital I/O section offers the choice of AES/EBU, SPDIF by coax or TOSLINK optical, or ADAT formats
• The innovative design of the analog stage and converter topology allow ultra low noise and distortion specifications
• A 480 x 272 pixel LCD touch screen for operation and monitoring
• A 32 channel internal mixer in the updatable FPGA
• 12 total inputs, 16 total outputs plus 32 channels possible via LSlot.
• AC powered with Battery operation available
• Open ended software for future measurement, metering, diagnostic and personalization features using the touch screen LCD.