MOTU is shipping the 896mk3 Hybrid, an enhanced version of their popular 896 audio interface that now provides flexible connectivity to Mac or Windows computers via Firewire or high-speed USB 2.0. Features include eight XLR/TRS “combo” style analog inputs with high-quality preamps, ten XLR analog outputs, a total of 28 inputs and 32 outputs, 192 kHz analog operation, signal overload protection, a 32-bit floating point DSP for digital mixing and effects processing, two banks of configurable optical I/O, and support for time code synchronization.
The rear panel of the 896mk3 Hybrid provides both Firewire A (400 Mbps) and hi-speed USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) ports. Users can connect the 896mk3 Hybrid to their computer using either format for full-featured operation and ultra-low bus latency. The Firewire jacks on the 896mk3 are 9-pin Type B jacks, but they can be connected to any Firewire jack on the computer (6-pin Type A, 4-pin Type A “mini”, or Type B) using any standard Firewire cable that has the necessary connectors on it.
Other feature updates include computer-controllable pad and 48V phantom power switches for the eight mic inputs. The 896mk3 Hybrid includes all the features from the earlier award-winning Firewire-only mk3, including:
• CueMix FX™ — flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP effects, including reverb with sends/returns, plus EQ and compression on every input and output.
• 28 inputs / 32 outputs (at 44.1/48 kHz) — there’s no channel sharing in the 896mk3; the mic inputs, AES/EBU I/O, S/PDIF I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
• Front-panel control — access any setting in your entire 896mk3 mix directly from the front panel.
• Stand-alone operation — users can program mixes at the studio and then bring the 896mk3 to a gig — no computer needed. If they need to tweak the mix, they can do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
• Multiple CueMix FX mixes — for example, users can create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Or add send/return loops for outboard gear — with no latency.
• Eight rear panel combo jacks provide 1/4” guitar/line input or XLR mic input with phantom power, pad and plenty of gain.
• Clip protection — input limiter prevents digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels up to +12 dB over zero.
• Eight 24-bit 192 kHz analog inputs and outputs on XLR jacks.
• Precision Digital Trim™ — Digitally controlled analog trim on all analog inputs provides accurate adjustments in 1 dB increments. Users can fine-tune the balance of the analog inputs and then save/recall trim configurations.
• Flexible optical I/O — 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96 kHz) or two pairs of stereo TOSLink. Mix and match formats between the two banks.
• Expandable — add additional interfaces for more I/O as connectivity needs grow.
• Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control.
• Stereo 24-bit 96 kHz AES/EBU in/out.
• Stereo 24-bit 96 kHz S/PDIF in/out.
• Word clock in and out.
• Foot switch input — conveniently located on the front panel; connect a standard foot pedal switch (sold separately) for hands-free punch-in and punch-out while recording. Or map the pedal to any keystroke function in your host software.
• Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and Windows 7/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, and Core Audio. Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software.
• 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today’s popular audio programs.
• Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
• Front panel volume control for monitoring. Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups available.
• Two front panel headphone jacks with independent volume controls.
• Comprehensive front panel metering for all analog and digital audio I/O.
• Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs.
• International 100-240V, 50-60 Hz auto-switching power supply.
The 896mk3 Hybrid is now shipping at the same price as the original award-winning 896mk3.